Formed in 1998, the New York State Association for Affordable Housing (NYSAFAH) is the trade association for New York’s affordable housing industry statewide. Our 300 members include for-profit and nonprofit developers, lenders, investors, syndicators, attorneys, architects and others active in the financing, construction, and operation of affordable housing. Together, NYSAFAH’s members are responsible for virtually all of the housing built in New York State with federal, state, or local subsidies.
NYSAFAH advocates for policies, legislation and appropriations at the local, state and federal level that promote our industry’s interests. Early victories include the creation of two new state programs, the Homes for Working Families Program and the New York State Low Income Housing Tax Credit (SLIHC). In 2005, our lobbying efforts resulted in the Property Tax Assessment Reform Act, which requires assessors to use the income approach to assess affordable projects.
NYSAFAH is currently focused on ensuring that limited public subsidy is used efficiently, advocating for policies and program reforms that leverage state dollars with private and federal government funding. For the latest on NYSAFAH’s advocacy efforts, visit www.nysafah.org/advocacy.
In addition to lobbying for our industry’s agenda, NYSAFAH offers a full slate of networking and educational events, including breakfasts with featured speakers, cocktail receptions, and conferences in both New York City and upstate New York, drawing anywhere from 200 to 1,200 affordable housing professionals depending on the event. Please see the events page on our website for event registration information.
NYSAFAH members enjoy:
- Networking opportunities with the state’s leading affordable housing professionals, including developers, lenders, equity investors and others
- Input and opportunities for advocacy on affordable housing programs and legislation
- Access to affordable housing decisions makers, including public and elected officials in New York City and New York State
- Reduced rates to conferences and other events
- Up to date news on New York’s affordable housing industry
We urge you to join NYSAFAH today! Click here to print out our membership form.